In the dynamic world of dentistry, the Dental Handpiece stands as a cornerstone tool. Its longevity and optimal performance are crucial for the effective and profitable functioning of any dental practice. This comprehensive article delves into the commitment of Cicada Medical to sterilisation and dental handpiece longevity, providing an in-depth understanding of dental handpieces, their types, and maintenance tips, all updated to the current year, 2023.
Understanding Dental Handpieces
A dental handpiece, often referred to as a dental drill, is an essential tool in any dental practice. This instrument is used in various procedures such as removing decay, polishing fillings, and altering prostheses. Dental handpieces can be powered by electricity or air and come in various types, each designed for a specific range of procedures. For instance, in a real-life scenario, a dentist might use a high-speed handpiece to cut through tooth enamel during a root canal procedure, while a low-speed handpiece might be used for polishing a filling.
Types of Dental Handpieces
Dental handpieces can be broadly categorized into two types:
- High-speed Handpieces: These are used for cutting hard tissues such as tooth enamel and bone. They operate at high speeds, typically above 180,000 RPM, and have a water spray to cool the area being treated. For example, in a case study conducted in 2020, it was found that high-speed handpieces significantly reduced the time taken for procedures like crown preparations and root canals.
- Low-speed Handpieces: These are used for cutting soft tissues, finishing restorations, and removing decay. They operate at lower speeds, typically below 40,000 RPM. A 2021 survey of dental practices revealed that low-speed handpieces were commonly used for procedures like adjusting dentures and removing old fillings.
Each type of handpiece has its own set of advantages and is used depending on the specific requirements of the dental procedure.
Cicada Medical’s Commitment to Quality
Cicada Medical is committed to providing quality dental handpieces that are built to last. They understand that dental equipment is often regarded as the workhorse of the practice and the key to a positive experience at all times is buying quality equipment. This sometimes comes at a higher cost, but you will get many years out of a premium piece of dental equipment. According to a 2022 report, dental practices that invested in high-quality equipment like Cicada Medical’s handpieces reported fewer equipment failures and higher patient satisfaction rates.
Proper Care and Maintenance of Dental Handpieces
Proper maintenance of your dental handpiece is crucial to prolong its life and ensure efficient performance. Here are some tips:
- Clean After Each Use: Remove any debris or dental material from the handpiece immediately after use. This simple step can prevent the buildup of material that can affect the handpiece’s performance.
- Lubricate Regularly: Regular lubrication helps to keep the handpiece operating smoothly. A 2019 study found that dental handpieces that were regularly lubricated had a longer lifespan than those that were not.
- Sterilize: Sterilize the handpiece as per the manufacturer’s instructions to prevent cross-infection. Proper sterilisation is not just a best practice, it’s a requirement for patient safety.
- Regular Servicing: Regular servicing by a professional can help to identify and fix any potential issues early. This can prevent small issues from becoming major problems that can affect the handpiece’s longevity.
The Role of Sterilisation in Dental Handpiece Longevity
Sterilisation plays a crucial role in ensuring the longevity of dental handpieces. Cicada Medical emphasizes the importance of sterilising dental handpieces as per the manufacturer’s instructions to prevent cross-infection. They also recommend allowing dental handpieces to cool and dry naturally after cleaning and sterilising. This is because using a handpiece before it is properly cooled down or trying to force a handpiece to cool by using cold water can lead to premature failure.
The Importance of Proper Storage
Proper storage can also improve the longevity of dental handpieces. Cicada Medical advises keeping damaged handpieces separate and always getting qualified technicians to service and repair dental tools properly. Where possible, store your handpieces vertically with the head at the top so that any additional moisture can drip off.
The dental handpiece is an indispensable tool in any dental practice. Understanding the types of handpieces and their maintenance can help dental professionals ensure their longevity and optimal performance. Cicada Medical’s commitment to sterilisation and dental handpiece longevity underscores their dedication to providing quality dental equipment and support services. Remember, a well-maintained dental handpiece not only serves you better but also ensures the safety and satisfaction of your patients.